Friday 24 August 2018

Giant flemish rabbit - a super cute amigurumi

So, with the rain that has been happening of late it has been a perfect time for me to try and upskill my crochet skills. I have been doing a lot of my own designs recently now the Mandala Madness blanket is completed, well the first out of the four is. I have been enjoying making up new phone case designs with cats and unicorns added. I have also been working on doing some Christmas patterns. I know, we are not yet out of August and I have mentioned the dreaded C word!

Although I really enjoy doing small projects that are all my own original work I do like to make up existing patterns by other fabulous designers. This gives me a great opportunity to try out new techniques an also new stitches. The giant Flemish rabbit is one such pattern. With the blankets and my phone cases I often find myself using my trusty 4mm hook. I do use a 3.5 for the calorie free doughnuts and ice lollies as I don't want there to be holes for the stuffing to show through. This pattern for the giant Flemish rabbit asked for a 3mm hook. Although this was not much smaller than what I usually use I did find that it took a little getting used to as I was using the same thickness yarn that I do for my other projects.

The Giant Flemish rabbit in the pattern was made up using a dark brown colour and although I do have a variety of different browns in my stash I wanted to use something different so I chose to do mine in white. I love working in the round especially when it is done in a spiral so you don't get a join showing where you slip stitch to the first stitch. I loved the way that you made the little front legs first and then when you get to that part in the pattern you join them to the main body, going through both sets of stitches, so no sewing is required. It gives such a neat finish, you need to make sure though that you use stitch markers or else you could end up with the legs in the wrong place! I also love the little cute tail. It is also crocheted but to get the fluffy look (as though you have made a pom pom) the tip was to get a piece of Velcro/ hook tape and carefully rub it over to bring up the fibres from the yarn. It is so soft when it has been done. I did have to think about how to do the eyes as all the white rabbits that I have seen pictures of recently all seem to have pink/red colour eyes. I only had green or brown safety eyes and to be honest the pink colour eyes kind of freak me out. They remind me of the rabbits in Watership Down and that film did scare me when I first watched it as a child.

I am glad that my completed Giant Flemish rabbit does not scare me. I think it is a great pattern, very well written and I have ended up with new skills and techniques and a super cute bunny as well. As you can see he seems at home in my garden.





No comments:

Post a Comment