Tuesday 18 April 2017

Mistakes - To unpick or not to unpick?

Mistakes, we all make them at some point or other but what do you do when you find out you have made a mistake. Do you reach for the unpick or do you just live with it?

I guess there is no one answer as it can depend on what you are making, who you are making it for and what material you might be using. I have recently finished knitting a long line cardigan to wear at work in teal coloured Stylecraft wool that I was given for Christmas. I love using this brand of wool as it knits up really well, is soft and has good washing care. I was really pleased with the finished results once I had finished the knitting part. Always the most enjoyable part, but now had to sew it up which is something I don't particularly enjoy but is a necessity. The cardigan has a shawl collar which is great for the colder days and was the last part I had to attach to the main cardigan as it is part of the button band. I had just finished stitching it down when I realised that I had not used the ladder stitch I normally do on this part (this is the second version of this cardigan I have made) as it does not show as a seam when worn.

The dilemma. Do I unpick it and do it all over again, this time correctly? Or do I live with it as after all the cardigan is for me and realistically would anyone bar me notice?

In the end I decided not to do either but instead make it look like a deliberate feature. I also crochet and to join blocks together when making blankets I crochet them rather than sew. This gives a nice raised finish with a chain stitch. This I thought would give the obvious seam a decorative feature should anyone notice and looks as though it had always been done on purpose. I guess sometimes a mistake can be a blessing. Its how we deal with it that makes the difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment