Wednesday 17 May 2017

Mandala Madness Part 1

Whilst I am still enjoying sewing and have the next few projects sorted out in my head, I have got back into doing some crochet. I was given a "ball" of wool for my birthday a couple of weeks ago. I can't pronounce the name of it, Scheepjes, but I love how the colours blend beautifully as you progress further into your project. The colour combo that I am working with is called Popin Candy.

I knew straight away what I wanted to do with it. I had seen on a Facebook page a CAL (crochet a long) called Mandala madness by Helen Shrimpton. I found the pattern listed on Ravelry and the link took me to her website Crystals and Crochet. I am a beginner still when it comes to crochet. I have been able to do granny squares but have been trying to learn different stitches and how to follow a pattern. So far I have managed to crochet 2 cats, a hat and several flowers. This is something completely new and different. I wasn't too sure how I would go.

The website has really good picture (alongside written as well) instructions that I am mostly competent enough to follow. It also has a link to videos of each part. The pattern was released in 18 parts over time in 2016. I must confess, I did start off by using the picture instructions but used the you tube videos of stitches/sections that I wasn't too sure about.

Not content with starting one I decided to start a second one. This time I thought I would use stylecraft with black being my base colour and cerise, apple green and turquoise as my accent colours. I am using a size 4mm hook with the double knit wool as opposed to the 3mm for my other one. They are coming up different in size and I am trying to complete a round on one and then repeat the same round on the other one. I already even at this early stage have plans for different colourways as it is such an addictive pattern!

Right. Part one is complete. Lets start part two :)


No comments:

Post a Comment