Friday 23 February 2018

Colour pooled loom knit scarf.

So I have seen lots of lovely things completed using the technique of planned colour pooling, where a self striping wool has been used to give a criss cross pattern. I first saw this on social media with lots of advice and guidance of how to achieve this but the items produced where all done in crochet and the explanations related to tension, crochet stitches and hook sizes etc.

This is something that really caught my eye and I wanted to have a go at. One day.

Along with the crochet projects that I have got on the go I wanted to make another loomed scarf using the figure of 8 stitch as I really like how this works up, also it is the only one I know at the moment! I have got a book that shows different ones to do on the long loom and again, it is something I will have a go at. I found this most beautifully soft wool in one of the bigger supermarket chains. I have made an infinity scarf in a lovely plum colour wool in the same type of yarn so knew how this wool would work up. What I didn't expect however was how the colours would work out. The wool consisted of 3 colours: lemon, lilac and blue. After about 8 inches I could see how there was a pattern starting to emerge. I was keen to keep on going as after the first few rows I really wasn't sure if I liked it or not. Did I want to continue or start something new with this wool. I kept going.

The scarf took 4 balls of wool and I was so surprised, and very pleased, that without planning it at all or even realising that it would happen I had the colour pooling technique that I had seen so many lovely things crocheted with evident in my work. Something that I had wanted to have a go at. One day.

What I have learnt is that sometimes not having a clear idea of what you are going to achieve can really turn out wonderful results. Just going with the flow and seeing what happens.




No comments:

Post a Comment