Monday 12 March 2018

Emoji's anyone?

So, have you ever looked at something and thought " I bet I can make that in crochet. " Well that's exactly what happened to me recently.

I had been working with a group of students and we were looking at emoji's and also Kawaii images as a starting point, something to inspire their ideas and designs. We had produced some mood boards and were also searching up further images on the internet. Now, I have been doing quite a bit of crochet for the last few months but only with making my Mandala Madness blankets. This has been great at teaching me lots of different stitches and how the use of these can alter the shape of the "fabric".  I have in the past made bag charms but these have been done in felt. I really wanted to see if I could use my gained knowledge in crochet and replicate a couple of the images that I was using in my work with my students.

After getting the basic shape right and working out where (and how long) to put the loop for the jump ring next came the fun bit of trying to work out the faces. Did I go with glued on felt? Did I try to embroider everything? Did I try to crochet some of the features? After a bit of trial and error I found what worked best for me was to embroider some of the features and crochet others. The glued on felt (in my opinion) didn't look quite right. I also added heart buttons for one of them but the jury is still out on whether I like it or whether I should try and crochet tiny hearts.

I like the melons that I have done, but again it took a bit of trial and error with techniques to get the "pips" how I liked them.

I have also been working out my own patterns for mini back packs and socks now I have found out that I can take an idea and realise it in crochet. More on them another time .......... xx







No comments:

Post a Comment